Manhattan DWI / DUI Attorney
Being arrested for DWI in Manhattan can lead to immediate hardships including loss of your license, car, and in some cases your freedom. Conviction could result in additional and more severe penalties. New changes in New York law have increased the penalties for DWI convictions and the New York County (Manhattan) District Attorney's Office aggressively prosecutes individuals arrested for drinking and driving. Additionally, Vision Zero is a new enforcement initiative backed by the Mayor's Office and the NYPD which has the goal of reducing traffic related injuries and fatalities in New York City. It is resulting in more aggressive enforcement of vehicle and traffic laws and greater scrutiny of suspected drinking and driving. At the Law Office of Lance Fletcher, our DWI defense lawyers are dedicated to protecting the rights of those charged with DWI or DUI in Manhattan. Lance Fletcher, a former Manhattan prosecutor, dedicates his DWI defense efforts to scrutinizing the reason for your traffic stop, any alleged breath result, allegations that you were driving or that your driving was affected by intoxication, and any other allegations that you were driving while intoxicated. He is prepared to fight for the best outcome possible at any stage in your case.
The Manhattan District Attorney's Office aggressively prosecutes it's DWI cases. This means they will fight for a conviction wherever possible with sentences up to and including jail time. Every county is a little different and Manhattan has a different approach in terms of negotiations, potential offers, and discovery than the other boroughs. Discovery is the phase of your case where the prosecutor is required to disclose the nature of the evidence they intend to use against you at trial. Manhattan Criminal Court handles most misdemeanor DWI cases in Part E at 100 Center Street. Unindicted felonies are generally heard in Part F and indicted cases are assigned a felony part at 100 Center Street or 111 Center Street.
- Up to 1 year in Jail
- Interim probation supervision
- Ignition interlock device
- Alcohol treatment
A DWI conviction could also lead to a permanent criminal record,
permanent immigration and international travel problems,
loss of your car, employment problems, loss of professional licenses, and other consequences.
A Small Sample of our Manhattan DWI Successes
At the Law Office of Lance Fletcher, we take on every case with the goal of getting it dismissed or reduced whenever possible.
- Near head-on collision with police car: Arresting officer saw Client nearly collide head-on with a marked police car and then attempt to flee. Client had watery, bloodshot eyes, smelled like alcohol, unsteady of his feet, and several bags of marijuana were found in client's car. Client also had a prior felony. Case dismissed - record sealed. (#1396)
- Client Fled Checkpoint: Client tried to drive through checkpoint - When client got out of car, client could barely stand - Client had watery, bloodshot eyes, and had a strong smell of alcohol - Client taken to the precinct where client blew over the limit - Case dismissed, record sealed (#1227)
- Client Admitted to Extensive Drinking: Client admitted to having over 20 drinks prior to driving - Client had watery and bloodshot eyes - Client charged under common-law DWI section 1192.3 - Case dismissed
- Major Accident and 0.26: After a major accident, client blew 0.26 and arrested - This was client's 3rd DWI arrest and was facing felony charges and state prison sentence - Case dismissed (#1088)
- DWI on Way Home from Club: Client stopped on way home from a prominent nightclub on the West-side of Manhattan - Client pulled over for an illegal U-turn - Client admitted drinking vodka and tonic all night and almost blew twice the limit - All criminal charges dropped, client only convicted of traffic infraction
If you or a loved-one has been charged with DWI / DUI in Manhattan, please contact us for a case evualuation today. Our Manhattan offices are located in Downtown Manhattan at 225 Broadway, Suite 2700 and Midtown Manhattan at 800 Third Avenue. Our attorneys will work with you to implement a customized DWI defense strategy to ensure the best possible result.